SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Activities for Little Ones While Staying Home

Lots of moms are looking for more activity ideas to entertain their children while they are at home during this time. Have you heard the saying "happy wife, happy life?" Well, I think it is actually more like "happy kids, happy wife, happy life!" I know that when Charlie is rambunctious, it gets me anxious and then no body is happy. So, I try to keep her as busy as possible. She is a high energy kid to begin with. Add keeping her indoors to the mix and it is a recipe for an exhausted mom! These are a few ideas we have done so far, but trust me I will be adding more as time goes on!
Sidewalk chalk as become a new favorite of ours. We draw all sorts of things all over our driveway. It is a fun way to get outside and have something to do. I actually love sidewalk chalk and fancy myself a chalk artist (LOL)

On a rainy day, we definitely are NOT staying inside. Charlie knows when it rains, she straps on her rain boots and heads right to the puddles to splash. Let me preempt this with I am not a mom who worries about messes. I believe kids are only kids once so let them be messy. I mean, I'm already doing 6,000 loads of laundry a day so why not add one more pair of dirty pants? This rain boots are not my style preference, but they sure are Charlie's favorite! They light up, too.

With the uncertainty of nurseries being open for plant sales, I thought it would be a good idea to start our own vegetables from seed. I bought organic seeds online here, I used this seed starting mix, and I used regular plastic seed starting containers. Charlie helped me plant them and it was a fun (but messy) activity for us! What has been even more fun is watching how fast they grow! I cannot wait to transplant them to my raised beds outside when it warms up. 

This mermaid puzzle is one we recently purchased from Mindware. I love this website! They have so many fun games and activities for kids at really affordable prices. Charlie especially loved this mermaid puzzle because of the unique shape, but also because it was simple enough for her to do with a little help from mom. We stocked up on a few others from here. An added bonus is that they ship pretty quickly!

OK this has been the MAJOR winner in our household. This kit has been providing us with entertainment for weeks now! How it works is your order the kit online. The kit comes with a voucher for the caterpillars. You order the caterpillars when you are ready. When they arrived, they weren't moving at first and we thought they were dead, but soon found out they were just in a little bit of shock. They start to crawl and eat the food. They grew to be big SO quickly. They then formed cocoons and now we have four butterflies (one didn't make it out of the cocoon). Charlie checks on them every day. It is now so much fun to feed them fruit slices and watch them fly. We are waiting until it is warmer outside to release them. I highly recommend this experience!

After going for a walk in our neighborhood and seeing kids on scooters, I thought maybe it would be fun to get Charlie a toddler scooter so she could learn how to ride before summertime. We let her ride the scooter inside if she wants because its so cold here still. She's slowly getting the hang of it!

This bird house kit was one I picked up at Hobby Lobby shortly before the quarantine started. I knew we were going to be locked down soon so I stocked up on crafts! It was fun for Charlie to paint. She is very much into feeding birds with birdseed right now. We plan on hanging it and sprinkling bird seed around to watch the birdies come and eat.

I bought this trampoline along with gym mats for our basement when we were sick with the flu in January. We were sick for 3 weeks (which was basically the start of our quarantine!) and Charlie was getting antsy, so I ordered gym mats, a trampoline, and tunnels online and let her burn off some energy while we were inside. I'm so glad we have these now!

These are super fun for outside! Charlie had a blast playing with these. Although, she ripped off the caps and did more of a splatter paint effect! Yikes!

I hope this helps you keep your little ones busy and engaged during this time!
Shop links above or below. 




No comments :

Post a Comment